Happy New Year!!!!!!!! As you read this post – well, depends on when you read it – I am Downtown Baltimore with Igwe watching the fireworks, just like we did last year. I’m already thinking about how I will usher in 2014. Do you have New Year resolutions? I don’t. I stopped doing those a long time ago, but I have never stopped being hopeful or making plans. And these are some of my plans for 2013. I have more plans than are listed here, and some of the ones listed here are not as detailed as they should be. Still, indulge me. And share some of your plans with me, too. These are some of my plans, in no particular order. I don’t know how I will accomplish them, or if I will even do so. We’ll know for sure when December 31st 2013 rolls around.
1. Increased blog traffic by 12: Basically, I want my current blog traffic to multiply by 12. And I have only chosen the number 12 because there are twelve months in a year. It’s a very, very large number that I’m looking at, and while it currently seems so far away, I am aware that things can change that quickly.
2. Own a 2013 Dodge Charger: Here’s the thing about the Dodge. As I type this right now, I have NO idea how I will afford a brand new Dodge Charger. But that’s not going to stop me from wanting one, or from planning to own one. Every time I tell someone that I want the Dodge Charger, they look at me crazy. Like, why?? It’s so masculine! Yes, I keep hearing that. I still want it. So pray for me. Or donate to my Dodge campaign.
3. To be self-employed: And what this basically means is that I do not want a 9 t0 5 job. Doing a 9 to 5 job would be done only because I need to do it. And I don’t want to need to do it. I already have a job: yes, blogging. And radio-ing. And hosting events. And much more. And those are what I’m going to work on more intensely this year. That’s how I want to be self employed.
4. To meet President Barack Obama (and his wife): I know what you must be thinking, “Bia, Vera, what brand of crack are you smoking, cause it must be really, really good? You want to meet Obama, ke?” Continue laughing at me oh! I am busy trying to figure out what hairstyle to do when I meet my President. Should I do Love Come Down? Or Police Cap? Or should I stick to my version of Onu Gbajie Boys (let the necks of the boys be broken)? I don’t just want to meet him; I also want to work with/for him.
5. Wedding? There is a question mark after this because we are trying to figure out the first and most important part of having any kind of event: location. Location. Location. Here in America? Or in Nigeria? Or both? Not knowing exactly where is making me not be able to think of anything else. If it’s Nigeria, I’m not happy that I am not there, so am I supposed to plan it from across the ocean? See, that’s another reason why I need to be self-employed.
6. To move house: Igwe and I will be moving, and I am quite excited. While the thought of packing up and moving into a new place is exhausting, the aftermath is usually a very gratifying feeling. We found the coziest, little place, and I fell absolutely in love with it immediately. We are still working on the finishing touches, but yes, that is definitely in the plans for 2013.
7. Television debut: I’m not even completely sure what I mean by this. I just know that I plan to do a screen debut before the end of the year. So help me God.
8. Start that business: Start that business I have been carrying around in my head forever. Right now, I’m still trying to read up on how to even start. I’ll let you know once I start, of course.
These are some of my plans. But I just want to do two things before I end this post:
1) I want to thank each and everyone of you for reading this blog, for leaving comments, for e-mailing me, and for being interested in this life of mine. I have big plans for you. But as you know, big plans cost big money. But I promise that once I can, I will. You have no idea how I feel when I read your comments; you don’t know the broad smile that comes on my face when someone tweets me; or the validation I get when someone says how much they love me. I don’t understand the love, but I am so grateful for it.
I may not know a lot of you by first names, and I may not be able to always return the blog love, but it’s not for lack of desire, but for lack of time. A lot of people have suggested that I create more time for myself by not responding to comments, but I love responding. I love interacting with you. As long as I can, I will continue to do so. There are times that I am not able to respond for a few days, but I always try to get to it eventually. If your comment has not been responded to, please forgive me.
2) I’d like to encourage you. One day, I will tell my story. Today isn’t the day though. A lot of us have one struggle or the other that we are battling, but I swear, it will eventually pass. I always tell my mom, “Don’t worry, mom, it’ll get better,” and she always, always asks, “When?” And I say, “I don’t know, but it will.” Then she lets a deep breath out and says, “Okay oh. If you say so.” Over and over, we have this same conversation. Of course, I say to God,” You better make things better because I have just vouched for You!”
Sometimes, it’s hard to notice changes when they come in small packages, but over time, you look back and you realize that you are not where you used to be. These struggles and experiences make us stronger. Even then, I’m sure everyone would rather not face the struggles.
I don’t know what concerns you have; I don’t know what thoughts are going through your head when you soak your pillow with tears. And I don’t know what it is that you keep crying to God for. But whatever the case may be, I pray that the good Lord meets you at the point of your needs. Please don’t give up. Make your plans for success and greatness; commit them to the Lord, and try your fucking hardest. I do realize that the word fucking may be frowned upon when it makes an appearance in the middle of such an encouraging sentence, but now you know why I do not aspire to be a pastor.
Whether or not you do New Year resolutions (and I don’t), one thing you should aspire to do this year is know yourself (and be yourself). Who are you? What do you really want? Don’t settle for less, especially in the issue of love/relationships/marriage. Know your worth, and don’t be afraid to demand it. Don’t let anyone give you less than you deserve; and don’t let anyone treat you like their friendship and/or love is a favor to you. If anyone dares to give you less than, tell them to fuck off.
Most of all, keep reading Verastic! Invite your friends. Invite your family. Invite your exes. Invite your enemies. Just invite people. If your pets can read and leave comments, invite them too. Happy New Year. Do things you’ve never done. Go places you’ve never gone. Dare to be different. Do you. Do epic things.
I love you. XOXO (I still don’t know what the hell xoxo means, and I don’t even know if I have written it in the right place – cause maybe it’s supposed to appear after my name, not after, but yeah, xoxo)
P.S. Considering that this is my first post of 2013, and I have already spent two f-words on it, I wonder what the remaining year has in store for me?