First of all, what on earth happened??? I was rooting for the Atlanta Falcons – not because I don’t like Tom Brady and Patriots, but because the Falcons have never won. Somehow, they managed to lose to the Patriots. I guess the best team won, so congratulations and respect to the New England Patriots.
I remember when I had no idea what was going on in a football game. Then Igwe happened. He taught me the game, and I’ve loved it ever since. What’s not to love anywhere when sweaty muscular men in tights are running around the field? That said, I don’t know everything about football (not even nearly), and I don’t watch every game (because for one thing, it’s heart-wrenching), but I do love the Super Bowl, and I do love the ads that come with them.
Below are my favorites for this year’s Super Bowl (in no particular order):
1. Buick: This ad had me cracking up because Cam Newton playing with those little kids looked like a shark competing with sardines. For obvious reasons, Cam Newton could play the role of quarterback, offense, and defense, all at the same time.
2. Skittles: I found this one funny because of all the people that were in that room catching skittles in the mouth. We had Katie, her mom, her dad, her grandmom (who was possibly blind?), a home burglar, a cop, and a beaver all catching skittles. I half-expected Marshawn Lynch to be there too – an idea for Skittles. You’re welcome.
3. Avocados From Mexico: I actually did not see the entire ad during the Super Bowl. I don’t know if they didn’t air the whole thing or if I was distracted. I tend to go with the former. But now that I have watched the whole thing, I like it even more. It’s HILARIOUS.
4. WIX: Jason Statham and Gal Gadot are the stars of this one. While they’re in the restaurant kicking everyone’s butt – Bond style – the chef is in the kitchen creating a WIX website. In the time it takes him to create the site (he’s oblivious to the noise, thanks to his headphones), Jason and Gal kick everyone’s butt and even blow the place up.
5. T-Mobile: T-mobile had a lot of ads during this Super Bowl! I take it to mean that business is good, so they should be able to lower my bill. After, I’ve been with them for about 15 years. Anyway, my favorite TV commercials were the ones that toyed with BDSM. For some reason, I can’t find these ads on YouTube. I’ll update the post once I find them.
6. Audi: As a girl and as a mom, I worry about raising a girl in a patriarchal world. I enjoyed watching this Audi commercial because it was encouraging. I’m not saying that it changed my life, but it had a positive vibe, and I enjoyed watching it.
7. Honda: I like what Honda did here. If more people knew what it’d be like to live their dreams, maybe more people would dare to pursue said dreams. And if more people knew what it’s cost and how long it’ll take to pursue said dreams, maybe less people would try. What I know for sure is that I can’t wait to live my dreams; I wanna know what that feels like.
8. Sprint: Another funny one. A man fakes his own death to get out of a Verizon contract. I feel bad for Verizon. Everyone is coming at them. Anyway, the Sprint guy (who used to be the Verizon guy) tells him that he did not need to do all that; he could have just switched to Sprint. In my opinion, using the Verizon guy against Verizon is pure marketing genius on the part of Sprint.
9. Kia: Although it wasn’t the funniest commercial to me, Melissa McCarthy is in it, so what’s not to love?
What were your favorite ads?